Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Stopped a School Fight...Scolded By Office

One of my first assignments as a substitute teacher was a physical education class in a middle school.

During my one of my classes there seemed to be a growing disturbance between a group of girls and another young lady who was developmentally challenged.
At some point during the class, a fight broke out between the girls.

As I stopped the fight out to find out what happened, I realized quickly that the fight wasn’t as simple as the group of the girls jumping on the special needs child.

In actuality, both of them said things that were derogatory to each other and seemed more likely that the special needs girl started the fight. With no resolution in sight, I decided to take all of them should be sent to the office.

Once I took the girls to the office, the secretary asked me who was watching the gym. I said no one. I was immediately reprimanded by the unit principal for leaving my class and was told to go back to the gym.

Once I went back to the gym, I noticed that the office that was in was ransacked and although my personal positions were not taken, (I put them in secret compartment buy the desk) all of the basketballs that were secured in the back room were gone.

I immediately shut everything down, retrieved the basketballs and made the kids sit until the bell rang.

Although I was probably wrong for leaving the gym that was the first time I was involved in a fight and I didn’t trust the girls to go to the office on their own. Nowadays, I know it’s best to contact security in those situations, but I still question what the best way to handle a school fight.

For my educating friends out there, how would you handle this situation differently or how have you handle fights during your time as teacher?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Us On Facebook

Pages